Friday, April 18, 2014

Homemade wheat bread

Anyone who knows me at all knows that I'm just a tiny bit obsessed with bread.  When asked the question, "What is your favorite food?" I reply without hesitation, "Bread."  I love it.  I've always loved white bread, especially fresh out of the oven, but in the past couple years I have converted myself to wheat bread.  Because, as my dad loves to remind me, the whiter the bread, the sooner you're dead.

Here is the recipe I make at least a couple times a month.  It is a combination of 2 or 3 recipes I've experimented with.  It is a creation of my own so it is not as precise as it probably should be.  If you are wanting to make it and have questions, let me know :)  It makes four loaves.

9 Grain Wheat Bread

Mix together (I use a Bosch):
5 C hot water
1/2 C olive oil
1/2 C honey

Add 3 C wheat flour and mix for about 15-20 seconds.  Add 3 T yeast and mix again.  Let sit for about 5 minutes while the yeast grows and bubbles.  Then add:

3 T dough enhancer (optional)
1 T salt
1/3 heaping C wheat gluten

Turn Bosch on low and slowly add:

1 C oats
1 C 9 grain cereal (I get this in bulk at Winco)
2 C white flour
4 C wheat flour (plus or minus a cup)

You'll have to turn up the speed on the mixer as it gets thicker.  Stop adding wheat flour when the dough starts pulling away from the edges and isn't too sticky.  I know, that's such a clear direction, but it's the best I can do when not in person.  Mix on high for 10 minutes.

Divide dough into 4 equal parts, spray bread pans with non-stick spray, and form loaves for each pan.

Turn oven on to 350 for one minute, turn it off, and stick the loaves in the warm oven for about 23 minutes.  Then turn oven on again to 350 and let bake for about 25 minutes.

Yum.  I hope you like it as much as we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment