Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Do something

Here's a quote by Helen Keller I've heard before but was reminded of recently:

"I am only one, but still I am one.  I can not do everything, but still I can do something.  I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

This made me think of a book I found at the DI a couple years ago.  It's called What's Worth Knowing and it is a collection of life advice from seniors living in rest homes.  One lady named Ella May Jones said, "I take each day one at a time.  Whatever I can do, I do."  Another lady, Grace Stanchfield, said she lives her final days thinking, "There must be something I can do for someone..."

Isn't that impressive?  Here are these people who have lost most of their independence, health, family, homes, and everything that is familiar to them, and they are saying, "Hey, I can still do SOMETHING.  Life can still be worthwhile!  Someone can benefit from me being here and being alive."  And it keeps them going.
I need to feel like I'm needed and important.  I want to make a difference somehow, even if it is small.  I think most people are this way.  We need to find meaning in life.  We need to use our talents and strengths to bless the lives around us.  We want to be seen and noticed.  We need to keep doing something...anything, especially when life takes away dreams we've had or plans we've made.

Most days I feel very small.  I'm not a great, influential person in the world.  I have a long list of flaws.  There are things in my past I'm ashamed of and there are parts of myself I want to hide.  I struggle in ways that make me feel small and worthless.  I'm afraid that there is nothing I can give to make the world better.  I worry that my imperfections will keep me from ever achieving anything great.  But when I read the words of these great people, I feel hope that despite any weaknesses or struggles I may have, I can still do SOMETHING to make the world just a bit better.  I'm almost certain my something won't be as big as the something Helen Keller did, but still I can do something.  I can do something good each day, even if it's small, like kicking the soccer ball around with my kid or cooking a healthy meal for my family.

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."
-Aesop




3 comments:

  1. I love this. How weird - just the other day I was thinking about this and being here and not always loving it but thinking I need to make the time here benefical to people here...blah blah. You put it perfectly and I like that that kind of closes the loop of my thinking for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well stated and true. Everyone has a need to help and serve. It's finding it that sometimes is hard. You brighten my day often!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quotes and great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete