Friday, August 15, 2014

What I already have

"Don't spoil the things you have with the things you don't."

-something I heard on a podcast by the minimalists


"If we do not feel grateful for what we already have, what makes us think we'd be happy with more?"

-Unknkown (but I found it on THIS blog post which was not only hilarious but so inspiring.  Thanks for sharing it with me, Krista)

I just wanted to share these two morsels today.  Mostly because I need to hear them myself.

I'm going to back to work next week. Not full time, just filling in at my old job for a couple girls while they go have babies and enjoy maternity leave.  It's the most perfect mom gig I could think of...very few hours, no need to hire child care, working nights, a bit of time to myself to rediscover who I am when not in mom mode...I'm really looking forward to it.  But the tiniest corner of my heart is hurting.  I realize how ridiculous it might sound to anyone other than me, but this wasn't in my plan.  I didn't picture working again until my youngest child was going into kindergarten.  I can't stop myself from thinking that this one child I have IS my youngest.  I never wanted a brood of kids, but I certainly never pictured having just ONE.

Once again, I think the answer to my pain is something I've written about over and over again on this blog.  And it's summed up nicely in the two quotes above.  It would be such a shame to spoil this time with my family by thoughts (obsessions) about what is lacking in my life.  I have so many beautiful things in my life.  If I'm not happy with these moments right now, I'll never be.



2 comments:

  1. Nicely put as always. I agree and it is nice to be reminded of the blessings we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of a quote I saw in the home of someone I babysit, something like "this moment is your life, enjoy it". Or something like that. Always reminds me that my life is not the fantasy in my head of what I thought it should be, but what is actually currently happening. Which can be such a hard thing to remember.

    ReplyDelete