Sunday, August 24, 2014

Take what is given

I've been feeling lately like I don't have anything profound to say.

I have books and books of quotes I love, inspiring thoughts I've recorded, notes from books I've read...I just don't have a really excellent way of conveying what's all jumbled in my head.  No good stories or experiences or anything to make it more real.

Well, I decided to just start sharing some of what I love, hoping the inspiration will come eventually if I just keep writing...

So, here ya go:

"Always fall in with what you're asked to accept.  Take what is given, and make it over your way.  My aim in life has always been to hold my own with whatever's going.  Not against: with."

-Robert Frost

I guess taken out of context this advice could be seen as spineless or something.  But the way I read it, I see great wisdom in it.  Being back at work this week has thrown me.  A new schedule and environment, coworkers, new responsibilities, comparing my weaknesses with the strengths of everyone around me, just a general sense of rustyness and being out of my element.  Not to mention the little bit of heartache I feel having my life plans altered.

Reading this quote helps me remember to go with the flow, as overused as the phrase is.  And not only just to chill out and accept things as they come, but to always remember to be myself.  The best version of myself.  Not a copy of someone I look up to.  Just plain ole me.  Good and bad.  Far too often, in situations that make me feel uncomfortable and inferior, I've defaulted to trying to become someone else.  I love the idea of "making it over my way."  Take the situation, adapt, be yourself, contribute in your own unique way.

I read in a good book once, "don't puff, don't shrink, stand on your own sacred ground".

2 comments:

  1. I liked your post today and agree with and needed it in my life as well.
    Thanks for the thought for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so alike. When I'm nervous or unsure I always find myself trying to act like someone else, down to body language and the words I use. It's a tough habit to break! I like this quote,too.

    ReplyDelete