Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The experiences

My husband and I frequently talk about wanting to provide experiences, not just STUFF for our kiddo.  And for ourselves for that matter.  The things I treasure most from my life are family scavenger hunts around the neighborhood on our bikes, camping trips in the rain, playing battleship with my dad on a Sunday afternoon when he would have rather been napping, learning how to sew a quilt or some pajama pants with my patient mom...

We aren't rich by any means, but the money we do have will be spent making memories, not buying more tvs for our house or new clothes to match what happens to be in fashion this month.

My husband sent me this link today.  It's a bit long to read and maybe a lot extreme for anything WE could actually do, but the idea of it gave me the chills.  I loved the quote at the end - "I don't know what our children will remember decades from now: The science experiments? The dinners with grandparents? The head lice? — but I can't imagine a nicer outcome than hearing them laugh at the memories."

You should read it.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=29866187&nid=1009&fm=home_page&s_cid=toppick4

3 comments:

  1. That's an awesome article, thanks for sharing! You and J are so adventurous, you're sure to give your kids some great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Good memories can not be replaced by things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool idea. And a great reminder that experiences are really what make life special!

    ReplyDelete