Monday, June 2, 2014

Permission to be me

Last night I finished a book called Everything that Remains by "the minimalists" Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus.  I read it in 3 days.  It only took so long because I have a 3-year-old to chase around.  I loved it.


This will probably not make any sense, but reading their book was like getting permission to be the person I've always been in my heart of hearts.  See, I've always felt so insecure in my habits and opinions and interests.  I constantly apologize for the way I am, the views I hold, the simplicity I crave, the tv I don't watch, the gadgets I don't buy, the career I don't have...  I have been sure that I must be lazy or unmotivated or, well....just plain weird.  THAT'S still up for debate....

Joshua is the main author of the book and he tells the story (that is becoming more and more common, I think) of his quick rise to a six figure income, his increasing debt, his divorce, his loneliness and depression as he tries to consume his way to happiness, fight his way up the corporate ladder, and basically live the American Dream and keep up with the Joneses.  Or rather, stay one step ahead of the Joneses.  A series of events leads him to seriously analyze his life, his priorities, his direction, his lack of happiness.  He hears about a guy named Colin Wright who lives a minimalist lifestyle.  This leads him to a bunch of other minimalist websites (a few of which I have links to from this blog) and he and his friend Ryan both drastically change their lifestyles.

I'm not going to attempt explaining what their new lifestyle looks like or what the definition of minimalism is.  But you can read about it HERE.  Read it!  It will be way better than anything I can say!  The thing I love most about it is that it can be applied to anyone, anywhere, in any circumstances.  It's about getting rid of the stuff in your life that isn't working, and then focusing on your passions and filling your life with the things that truly bring you joy.  It's constantly asking yourself, "Does this thing add value to my life?"

If you're still reading this soapbox post, here are some of my favorite lines from the book:

"Minimalism has allowed me to eliminate the other distractions from my life, things that, when you step back and look at the big picture, just don't matter as much as we think they do...Relationships that I clung to without a good reason.  Bad habits. Silly activities that took my time and money and energy.  Minimalism has helped me identify those things so I can remove them from my life and focus on things I'm passionate about, things I truly care about." 
-Colin Wright

"There is more joy and fulfillment in pursuing less than can be found in pursuing more." 
-Joshua Becker

"...I finally saw the light:  I was never going to feel happy or complete based on anything outside of me."

"Imagine a life with less clutter, less stuff, fewer distractions.  What would it look like?  Imagine your life with less - less stress, less debt, less discontent.  What would it feel like?  Now imagine your life with more - more time, more contribution, more elation.  Imagine better, more interesting relationships.  Imagine sharing meals and conversations and experiences and smiles with people who have similar interests and values and beliefs as you..."  (this paragraph went on forever, but you get the idea.  If you want the whole thing, let me know)
-Joshua Fields Millburn

I'm sort of preaching the gospel of minimalism now.  My parents came over on Saturday and I couldn't shut up about it...the contents of our shed strewn about the lawn surrounding us as we talked...we are doing some serious de-junking.  And it feels so good.

I'm taking baby steps.  I'm not even close to being a minimalist, but reading that book and keeping up with these blogs are changing the way I think.  And, as I said earlier, they are validating thoughts and practices I've grown up with...since my mom took me school shopping at thrift stores and made me ask myself before any purchase at the mall, "Do I HAVE TO have this?"  For years I have felt suffocated by the person I'm supposed to be.  The person the commercials and magazines and billboards tell me I have to be.  It's so refreshing to read a whole book(!) about people who are swimming against the current too.  I FEEL preachy.  Sorry.  It's just really ringing true for me.  Check it out.  I HAVE to spread the word :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm totally going to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After spending the last 8 months dejunking another's home, this has been reinforced over and over. Room after room of STUFF! Bought for what? Trying to fulfill some need that all of this stuff can never fulfill. And what a burden all of this stuff has become. Every time I come home I want to clean out and get rid of stuff. Unfortunately, I've been gone so much that my house has become a disaster. Maybe once I'm done with this project I can start simplifying my own life. I am craving that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should read this too! I've started asking myself that question a bit since reading the happiness project. I definitely did activities that "should" make me happy but just really don't so I finally stopped doing them!

    ReplyDelete