Sunday, June 15, 2014

Black Bean Burgers

This is what my husband wanted for his birthday dinner.  That's how much my recently converted (mostly) vegetarian husband loves these.  I do too.  Thanks to Kristine for introducing us!  And by that I mean introducing us to black bean burgers.  Not my husband and me to each other...

Black Bean Burgers

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 T ketchup
1 T mustard
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
1/3 C oats

Mash black beans, add other ingredients, and mix well.  Form into 4 patties.  Bake at 400 for 10 minutes on each side.

I've made these with freshly minced garlic and chopped up onions instead of the powder.  They tasted a little better, but the powder cuts down on time a LOT, which is nice when I'm in a hurry.  I've also shredded carrots and thrown them in.  I've added leftover rice.  Really I think you could add almost any veggie you want.

We usually eat these on toasted bagels with sauteed mushrooms, onions, feta cheese, lettuce, dilly beans (or pickles), bbq sauce, and mayo (hummus would be yummy too).

Enjoy!!

1 comment: