Sunday, March 16, 2014

In the valley

I read this in the book The Noticer recently...

"Everybody wants to be on the mountaintop but...mountaintops are rocky and cold.  There is no growth on the top of a mountain.  Sure, the view is great, but what's a view for?  A view just gives us a glimpse of our next destination - our next target.  But to hit that target we must come off the mountain, go through the valley, and begin to climb the next slope.  It is in the valley that we slog through the lush grass and rich soil, learning and becoming what enables us to summit life's next peak."

I'm in a valley right now.  I have been for the last few weeks.  I love the imagery in this quote because I have always enjoyed hiking so much and I've been on a few mountaintops.  I know how far away they seem as I take my first step, and how gratifying it is to stand on top of one.  I am also aware that most of the enjoyment I get from hiking lies in the steps I'm taking in between.  If I got in a helicopter and was dropped onto Mount Timpanogos, the view would be nothing in comparison to what it could be hiking all day and THEN making it to the top.

The valleys are beautiful.  I needed to remind myself of that today.


2 comments:

  1. I love this blog and the picture. Thanks for sharing and for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you. Hope you're week is improving!

    ReplyDelete