Sunday, March 2, 2014

Another amazing soup...

My sweet friend brought this over to me the day I found out I was having another miscarriage.  I will think of you every time I make this, Sarah!  p.s. I'm not sure where she got this recipe from...it's most certainly not my creation though.  I deserve no credit for this amazingness...

Black Bean, Sweet Potato, and Quinoa Soup

1 C uncooked quinoa
1/2 T olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 C diced onion
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced (I only used half)
1 or 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2" pieces
1 1/2 t cumin
1 t chili powder
1/2 t coriander
6 C vegetable broth
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
salt and pepper
1/4 t cayenne pepper
2 handfuls chopped kale leaves

Toppings: avocado, corn chips, cilantro, lime juice, salsa, green onion

In medium saucepan, cook quinoa in 2 C water.  Meanwhile, heat oil in large pot.  Add garlic and onion and saute 5 - 7 minutes.  Add jalapeno and sweet potato.  Cook another 5 - 7 minutes.  Stir in cumin, chili powder, coriander, and broth.  Boil and then simmer 18 - 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft.  Stir in quinoa, black beans, cayenne, and kale right before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment